Permission to include copyright material in a book
If you would like to include copyright material, such as cases, in a book you are publishing, you will need permission to do so.
Depending on which material you wish to use, you must either:
- Request permission from us; or
- Contact the school or publisher directly.
Check our list to see if you need to apply to us or directly to the school or publisher.
If the material you wish to use is published by any of the organisations on this list, you will need to apply directly to them for permission. Contact details are provided.
Otherwise, please use our online form to apply to us for one-time, non-exclusive permission to use the material.
When we receive your online application, we will send you a contract and invoice for you to sign and pay.
When we have received your payment, we will send you a digital copy of each case you have requested. Where possible, teaching notes and related materials will be made available via an online link.
As soon as your book is published, please send The Case Centre copies for each author of the copyright items you have used.
Fees for standard books
The content of standard books is mostly the author’s original work with the addition of just one or two items of copyright material.
The content of anthology and custom books is mostly copyright material with some editorial input from the author.
The fee for anthologies and custom books is $4.35/£3.15 per case per book.
- One case printed in 100 copies of your book would cost $4.35/£3.15 x 100
- Two cases printed in 100 copies of your book would cost $4.35/£3.15 x 2 x 100
- Permission can only be granted to use material in English language books and ebooks.
- Material must be reproduced in its original language and not translated.
- The permission is for one-time use in one edition of the book.
- Cases, teaching notes and exhibits must not be adapted or edited without approval.
- Minimal formatting is allowed to suit the layout of the book.
- The following credit must be included: Printed with permission from [insert name of copyright holder] and www.thecasecentre.org.
- Material must be reproduced in its entirety, not in part.
- Permission is granted for the requested print run plus subsequent print runs, as long as subsequent print runs, including quantities, are reported to The Case Centre. You will be invoiced for subsequent print runs at the rate specified in your original agreement.
- A copy of the published book must be provided to The Case Centre for each author of the copyright materials you have used.
- The material must not be used for any other purpose.
- The material must not be sold or provided to anyone else for any other purpose.
- Online links will be provided to give access to teaching notes and related materials where these are available. These must be stored securely on websites or portals for faculty-only access. (Cases will be supplied as PDFs.)
- Items can be used as a whole only: as part of the asset; within products that use or constitute individual chapters or portions of a publisher’s primary programme or product.
We have a dedicated Publishing Team that deals with submissions, withdrawals and copyright issues. Please contact us if you have any queries.
t +44 (0)1234 756401