We’re pleased to announce that the chosen topic for our 2022/23 Outstanding Case Writer: Hot Topic competition is 'Business, social media, and society'.
Prize and recognition
The winner of this competition will receive a prize of £1,150 ($1,400; €1,300) and a special trophy. We also announce the result to leading business press worldwide and invite the winner to feature on our website and in our newsletter, which is sent to 52,000 global subscribers. See our previous winners
Who can enter?
You must be a business or management teacher to enter this competition. Cases can be written by a team of two or more authors. Students and research assistants can be part of your writing team, but a faculty member must lead the team*.
What is required?
Your case must be relevant to the hot topic 'Business, social media, and society'. It can be based on field research, published sources or generalised experience. You can submit a single case or case series.
Your case or case series must:
- be in English
- clearly identify a protagonist and supporting actors
- articulate an issue, decision, problem or opportunity
- be a maximum of 5,000 words in total, excluding exhibits (you can submit an abridged version of your case if it is over 5,000 words), or 25 minutes if it's a video case
- include a teaching note (no word limit)
- have been completed after 1 January 2021
- have been tested at least twice in the classroom
- be submitted to The Case Centre should it win its category.
The hot topic: Business, social media, and society
Cases should address the effects on society, positive or negative, of business engagement with social media.
You may wish to address, for example, any of the following areas:
- navigating the ethical dilemmas/implications of social media in business
- big data, algorithms and machine learning
- the responsibilities of companies using social media as a sales/communications channel
- reputational stewardship
- using social media to adapt to fast changing business conditions.
How do I enter?
The 2022/23 competition closed on 5 October 2022. The results will be announced on 27 February 2023. The 2023/24 competition will open on 1 March 2023.
The 2022/23 Outstanding Case Writer competition will be judged by a panel of internationally renowned case method experts.
- Vicky Lester, Chair.
- Claire Barnardo, University of Cape Town Graduate School of Business.
- Euvin Naidoo, Thunderbird School of Management.
- Ulf Schaefer, SDA Bocconi School of Management.
Please do not contact any of the judges about your nomination as your nominee may be disqualified.
|1 March 2022||Competition opens|
|5 October 2022||Submission deadline|
|27 February 2023||Winner announced|
* Due to the unfolding conflict in Ukraine it is with sadness that we cannot accept entries from individuals in Russia or Belarus. Full statement.