The Case Centre is committed to increasing the diversity represented in cases created and used by the case community.
Along with a range of our own initiatives, we actively support and engage with other organisations who are dedicated to this cause.
Resources on DEI and cases
- Issue 49 of our Connect newsletter focuses on diversity and cases.
- Diversity and cases: Part 1 - Context: we examine the pedagogical, school and broader context of representing and addressing people of diverse backgrounds, underrepresented groups and environments, in teaching cases.
- Diversity and cases: Part 2 - Content and class: we explore how cases are supporting business schools in their drive to address issues of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging in the classroom.
- Hear from Genevieve Macfarlane Smith, Associate Director at the Center for Equity, Gender & Leadership (EGAL), UC Berkeley's Haas School of Business.
- The gender case gap: exploring the lack of women in teaching cases, its impact on business students and the challenge posed for educators.
- The case of the missing woman: Lesley Symons reveals the true extent of gender imbalance in cases.
- Going local: the growing demand for 'local' cases.
- Watch Stanford Graduate School of Business' Sarah Soule as she discusses uncovering stereotypes in classroom materials.
- Discussing race in case teaching: what two professors learned writing and teaching a case about the Aunt Jemima brand.
- Slow progress on race hampers business school diversity push: the FT examines how MBA programmes are improving access for minority groups, but considerable barriers remain.
- Representation Matters: Building Case Studies That Empower Women Leaders. Research by Colleen Ammerman and Boris Groysberg, Harvard Business School, examines the gender gap in cases and its implications.
Practical resources for case teachers and writers
- Guide to have difficult discussions about race & identity.
- Language for Racial Equity & Inclusion playbook.
- Tackling Diversity in Case Discussions: Advice for Creating a Culture of Dialogue and Equity in Business Classrooms.
Cases with diverse protagonists and that focus on DEI topics
The Center for Equity, Gender & Leadership (EGAL) at UC Berkeley’s Haas School of Business has developed a Case Compendium that includes two sets of cases: those with a diverse protagonist, and those with a DEI focus.
You can search our database to find the cases that they have identified with:
Curated lists of cases
- Award-winning cases with female protagonists.
- Cases and readings on diversity, inclusion, and belonging compiled by the Harvard Business School Gender Initiative.
- Cases with women protagonists compiled by Amity Research Centers.
Reaching Out MBA case collection
The Reaching Out MBA library of quality business cases addresses contemporary Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender issues with sensitivity and sensibility.
Initiatives to increase diversity in cases
- Case teacher scholarships - offering support to new case teachers worldwide.
- Case writing scholarships - offering support to authors around the world.
- Case Focus journal - developed to encourage cases with a Middle East and Africa focus.
- The Center for Equity, Gender & Leadership (EGAL) at UC Berkeley’s Haas School of Business - discover their Case Compendium and Professor Pledge initiatives.
- The Case for Women - promoting women’s leadership and presence in business and at business schools.